2.15.2008

five imaginary lives

Imaginary Lives: If you had five other lives to lead, what would you do with each of them?

  1. a visual artist in Paris
  2. a costume designer in New York
  3. graphic designer while raising a child
  4. flight attendant (the travel side of it, wouldn't want to deal with people all day though)
  5. fashion designer (or fashion illustrator)

Do you ever look back and laugh to yourself, and think how did this happen.

I had to look back at my journal from four years ago as I worked through Julia Cameron’s “The Artist’s Way”. The “artist child” within was throwing another tantrum (it was become quite predictable that this would happen twice a year). Asking that I stop ignoring (the artist), and take action. So Cameron’s book was the “solution” that winter.

I had finished the distance ed. Graphic Design course in the fall of 2003. While doing some freelance projects; progress was slow almost at a stand still (or so it seemed). However, I continued picking up all the freelance work I could until my evenings and weekends were full.

For 9 ½ years I’ve been an accounting clerk. This week my job shifted to only graphic design and honestly it’s kind of freeing. I always felt awkward about what my work is and what I am passionate about...like math and art clash, you can’t do both. Attention to detail is the piece they have in common; at least that’s how I’ve justified it to myself. I realized one of my wild and crazy dreams for life came true, if having a child was not miracle enough, I’m also doing one of my dream jobs!

So, without overthinking it, what would your imaginary five lives be?

To update my list, I would replace #4 flight attendant with children's book illustrator.

No comments: