5.02.2007

Life Throught The Passenger Window



I’ve been longing for a road trip lately. I was walking through fresh snow one early April morning. The air was humid, the snow was wet and thick, and my exhausted state reminded me of hour 12 on a road trip through the night. That moment as you walk from your car to the gas station for a coffee refill, and realize you are in the middle of the mountains. It’s a simple, ordinary thing. But it was a pleasant memory. So that April morning while other lamented the additional snow so late in the season, I was happy for my early morning “mountain” walk.

As the mom of a 1½ year old, and a full time employee, my life is full. It seems every hour of my week is scheduled with things to do and places to be. I love all that I am doing. I’ve had to narrow my activities down to the essentials. I’ve dropped off a committee I still believe is important, and can’t attend weekly mom’s groups that were vital to my social health while on maternity leave. I even got Dave to monitor the amount of baking I did for our friends who came over weekly to watch TV with us. It’s taken a bit to learn the balance and accept the fact that this season in life will be chaotic and I will probably feel like a crazy person most days.

So how do you take joy in life when it is sliding by so fast? I find I’m so focused on the details that I miss the good stuff, the stuff I am meant to savour.

I feel like I am looking out the side passenger window as the scenery slides by at 110km/hr. I’m focusing on the details along the roadside, trying to read the road signs when the car is parallel with them. Trying to distinguish every little part – and I can’t see straight, can’t make sense of anything. It’s chaos. So maybe if I can just focus on the broader view. Quit looking at blurry blades of grass in the ditch and take in the full landscape I will see the beauty on this leg of the journey. It’s amazing how beautiful the big picture is when you can look past the little details…

…Maybe I can enjoy the ride at this pace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For sure I can't relate because I'm not a mom and I'm not working full time. But I think that I felt the way you are feeling at lest once this year. Especially during my second semester. I felt that I had no time at all and that everything just flew by me without giving me the chance to sit down and savour them or again, I felt I was missing out on so many good things that I could be doing, but had no time. I found this season very frustrating, as if I was not able to really glorify God because I had so little time to actually do good stuff. But I'm realizing that God does not care so much about what we do, the season we're in or how slow or fast our life seems to go in our eyes or how busy we are. I don't think that He cares so much about how much we're able to enjoy and savour our lives. I think He's looking for people who will learn to enjoy and savour Him through all seasons of our lives. Don't take me wrong. He wants us to enjoy our lives and what He has created, but when I think of it, I'm relieved from the burden of having to enjoy life when I can enjoy God no matter what goes on in my life. I think that this shows God as great and glorious. I did write that enjoying life can be a burden... or it is more about the idea of having to enjoy life. That's what we all want to do eh? That's right. But if we can learn to enjoy God no matter the season and no matter our thinking about our ups and downs... I think God is glorified much more than when we have time to savour every single bit of our lives... sometimes forgetting that this is all about God.