4.16.2008

From Disco to Eighties

The past few months I’ve been busy transitioning from Corel to Adobe, and it’s been a painful process. Kind of like listening to “The Ghost of Genova Heights” by the Stars. I was listening to their latest album, liking the sound …and then this song came on, and I thought “What is this 80’s tune doing on here?” I’m not a fan; I seem to be alone in this. Makes listening to local radio stations painful. No matter what the station claims the genre is, every second song is from the 80’s … and the “all 80’s request” noon hour! Well, no radio, no road-rage.

So when the chorus of “The Ghost of Genova Heights” starts hitting Michael Jackson notes I can’t handle it anymore. I’m desperate to delete it from my ipod so I never have to listen to it again! But, I’ve liked the rest of the album so far, so I should just give it a chance. Maybe I’ll keep it and only give one star. Still listening, the band is really grooving now, maybe this is more disco than 80’s. I love ABBA…so ya, disco, that’s good or even just barely into the 80’s would be okay, I could live with it if that’s what they were going for. By the end of the song I rate it two stars. Definitely disco. And now I must confess the song keeps growing on me. I even intentionally listened to it today.

So that sums up my experience with Adobe CS3, everyone that uses it absolutely loves it. And this learning curve has slowed me down and caused high levels of frustration. But I’m hopeful that Adobe will be able to translate the ideas in my head just as well as Corel did. Maybe someday I’ll even grow to appreciate it like an Indie take on disco.

No comments: