
Lately I've been thinking about the little things. Why are some things, like the smell of rain and lumber, among my favorites and how did they earn that spot? It's more than just a memory or a period of life. But it's daily, so common that the smell of lumber in you workplace goes unnoticed. Or weeks of walking through a veil of rain seem annoying. When a season of drought hits, the cold dampness that was constant is forgotten, and walking in the rain becomes a privilege.
2 comments:
I really like this post! It's so innocent, but well thought! It got me thinking....perhaps God stimulates the positive response in our brain when we smell things, especially if it's a sharp contrast to the same old same old, to remind us that change is positive. Otherwise we might become too comfortable where we are, or become to stuck in our ruts of mumbling and complaining. Perhaps He sends the rainbow, the smell of rain after drought, and the smell of building something new to show us that we need to mix it up everyone in a while so we stay thankful. Just a thot.
Thanks for stumbling on my blog Sheila, I really like what you said. It seems there are sights, sounds or smells that define chapters in my life. I don't choose them - but they reminder me where I've come, and some (like a rainbow) are a promise of God's goodness and faithfulness. I think you are right, these little things are a gift from God meant to encourage us and help us choose an attitude of thankfulness in the midst of change or uncertainty.
Post a Comment