6.02.2008

Potluck Season - part four

The final potluck of the season. My picnic contribution was roast beef and cheddar on Canadian rye, all brought to you by Costco.
I love trying new foods so potlucks are an enjoyable adventure for me. However these events are "at your own risk" for those with allergy's. I refuse to bring nuts into my kitchen/house but enjoy them when out, while my husband avoids them. The system had worked well, I sometimes even got extra dessert after his close examination. Now we need to rethink the system. During the last potluck we both filled our plates, then our toddler picked the food he wanted off of our plates. Unfortunately my husband pushed a particularly delicious (but contaminated) item from my plate to our sons, then licked his finger tip. Because shortly into the meal his allergy's began, making the rest of the day very uncomfortable for him, and nervous for me. Fortunately the attack was mild enough that we didn't have to spend the day in emergency. Those are the risks/adventure of potlucking!
As far as this potluck experiment goes. Determining what
dish will appeal to the general public. If the food appeals to my husbands taste (because some people don't like black olives in everything) and meets my visual satisfaction, our potluck dishes should fair alright among these seasoned potluckers.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Oy! That is a little scary! I as well love Potlucks! I have a great cookbook from Taste of Home that has a section on Potluck favorites... so far pretty much everything I have made from it seems to have gone over ok. But my favorite part of potlucks is the dessert table!!!