The art of creating suspense that M Night Shyamalan achieves always impresses me. My imaginations races through all the possibilities of what could happen next in his movies, and when it gets too intense I decide it’s time to go find a snack. In the kitchen reason sets in: the main character is just walking through an empty house –what’s so scary about that. I’ve done that before after thieves left my front door open.
Fear is a funny thing. Sometimes you react, rise to the challenge without thinking (have the thieves actually left? I wondered as I walked through the basement of the duplex. They had -but I won’t do that again). Other times fear can paralyze you from taking necessary steps forward. Like the nagging dream and the fear that holds it captive. If you took a little step, would the outcome really be what fear/imagination has led you to believe? There’s something freeing and exhilarating about choosing to face a fear – even if imperfectly. Maybe the next step won’t be so hard.
No comments:
Post a Comment