3.20.2010

Twinkie Type Cupcakes

I helped with Playschool this week, and could also bring snack for the kids.  Since it was St Patrick day celebration, I was trying to think of an appetizing green food.  After all, preschoolers are brutally honest food critics.


I tried a new recipie
Twinkies are a tiny bit scary to me ...never going bad and all.  So this homemade version looked intriguing.  I think my unnatural choice of neon green icing scared at least two of the preschool girls though.

Twinkie Type Cupcakes
Cupcake
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
dash salt
2/3 cup milk
Mix and bake at 350F for 15-20 min.
24 cupcakes

Custard
8 oz cream cheese softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
Mix an place in icing press.  When cupcakes are cooled insert pastry tube into cupcake and fill with custard.

It ended up being a little more work than I had imagined.   I wanted to use ingredients from my kitchen, instead of taking two grumpy children to the grocery store for a cake mix.  Half way through this process, while baby cried, I wondered if I had made a mistake. Maybe I should have braved public embarrassment and splurged for Oreos...  But when the cupcakes were finally completed, my son was happy to share them with his classmates. 88% preschoolers would try it, and not too much went to waste - so that's not too bad.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Nicely done!
LB

Connie Peters said...

I'm sure you made your littlest food critic a proud man!